Sunday, April 26, 2009

Boden Sizing...My Experiences 101...

I have probably a total of 15 pieces from Boden, so not a whole lot, but maybe more than some of you other ladies out there (sorry men and children, I have NO experience in your sizes...smile).

First--quick story. I was told by my co-worker Patty that I needed to check out this British company Boden because her roommate received the catalog and all the ladies in it dressed like me (colorful, lots of prints, playful shapes, and comfortable fabrics). I was intrigued, but not enough to go out and check it out. Then it came...my first Boden catalog. I received it in 2005 and Patty was SO right...it was totally my style. Wow!!! Why couldn't they have had this when I actually lived in England for my study-abroad?

Now, back to sizing. I have over the past four years been pregnant multiple times, been postpartum twice, and have gone from a low of one weight to a weight forty pounds heavier. Right now, I am ten pounds away from the weight I started with in 2005 (which is where I want to be). Lucky for me my height and shoe size haven't changed! ;)

So, that said, I am 5'8" tall and wear anywhere from a 6-8 or xs-m in J. Crew tops (yes, I know, xs, what's up with that...). I also wear anywhere between an 8-10 in J. Crew bottoms. At my weight that I want to be, I wear a 6 top and an 8 bottom in J. Crew (although who the heck really knows--their sizing has been CRAZY lately--but a few years ago this was the case).

Now, onto Boden. They may seem expensive, but they are consistent in sizing and do use quality fabrics and finishes. When I was the weight I want to be (go away, last ten pounds), I wore a 10 top (equivalent to a 4-6 here) and a 12 bottom (equivalent to an 8 here). I also wore a 10 dress (equivalent again to a 4-6 here). Now, at the weight and size I am, I wear a 12 top (equal to an 8 here), a 12 dress (natch), and a 14 bottom (equal to a 10 here). Every once in a while, depending on the style and fabric of the top, I can wear a 10 top (4-6 here). I love that I also can check the specific measurements of the item in the description. I also love that the reviews are posted, both good and bad. (Saved me from purchasing a dress that said there was no defined waist--not a good look for someone like me.)

If you choose to buy from them, bear in mind the British sizing. As one of the commentors said...there is no traditional "6." Since I am not one to take chances and know that a good tailor can do a lot for a shirt that doesn't fit perfect, I always size up to a 12 (8 here) on top...

I hope that has helped some of you out. I am going to post the outfit I wore today a little later...it includes a Boden top from 2007. This top is in a size 12, by the way!

Enjoy yourself. Hopefully some of you will give Boden a try. Patina, I am so sorry about that bag. I know it will come...

1 comment:

HeidiG said...

thanks for the great info! I will take a closer look at the catalog now. And will definitely check out the reviews online!