Sunday, July 7, 2013

OOTE/Review: Jersey Maxi Dress and a Birthday Uni Treat.

Hi, all.  Reminder that the Boden end of season clearance sale started today.  Tomorrow I will have the Boden Weekly Review Roundup done, with lots from all of my very best blog friends.  (Lou has a great post, though, from earlier today, where she rounds up her own past reviews, which I find especially helpful.)  :-)

Tonight I am going to show off this year's Jersey Maxi dress, which as you all know from years past is one of my most favorite silhouettes that Boden makes. 

I received it a couple of days before my birthday and because my birthday was rainy and then hot, sunny, and humid, I decided to wear something deliciously covered up while still being nice and airy.





Day: Monday, July 1, 2013.

Where:  Yamazoto, a local Japanese/Thai restaurant.

Ease of Wear: (4.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  I live in maxi dresses in summer, it is like acceptable pajamas that are masquerading as "dressy" wear.  Awesome.

I took a half-point half because the Japanese food wasn't delivered to me (although Yamazoto does deliver) and I couldn't eat it whilst sitting on the comfy lounge chair with footrest that I own.

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Nice pretty summer look that appears cool.  A fedora would have made it cooler.  (But then I couldn't have worn my hair in a bun!)

Anecdote from the day:  There were only two servers that night so we had a wait for a table on a Monday night, which is so weird.  They found out it was my birthday and saw the three kids and were much quicker to seat us than we had anticipated.  That felt pretty great, really.

The treat for me wasn't the yummy green tea ice cream they gave me as my bday dessert (still good, come on, let's be real here) but the amazing Uni Shooter that I imbibed as my appetizer.  It consisted of a small martini glass with uni (sea urchin roe), a quail egg, some flying fish roe, scallions, and soy sauce.  It was HEAVEN.  I love the buttery, thick texture of the uni, but I most love the way the flavor of the sea and salt hits you as the uni settles on your tastebuds.  Mmmm.


Jersey Maxi Dress.  Size 6 Long.

I ordered the Driftwood Lupin color and when this one arrived I thought, "hmm, I thought there was supposed to be more grey in this dress," but then decided it was the ole Boden color trickery they do with colors on their site sometimes.

Apparently not...I realized I had received the pewter mosaic color instead *tonight* as I was preparing to write this post.  Oops!  I am not sending it back, but come on, Boden!  This was not the color I ordered...however, I do love this particular color and design and was considering this particular option as a second choice, which may have been why it didn't occur to me that they had sent me the wrong one!  Now I am just going to have to think about stalking the driftwood lupin if it pops back in my size.

The 6 Long is a great choice for me, more than fitted enough up top, but with a nice long and somewhat a-line shape to its skirt.   This skirt is so long, in fact, that I had to wear heeled platform sandals.  In the past I have only been able to wear flat sandals with their maxi dresses and skirts, so it is a real treat to wear something with more of a heel than a flip-flop.  (The Target sandals have about a 2.5 inch heel, fwiw.)

This dress is pretty low cut, so if you are concerned with modesty, do as I did and wear a cami underneath, which will just peek out while covering your "assets."

Jersey Maxi Dress
Jersey Maxi Dress.  Pretty much sold out, which is no surprise, and in the big clearance sale is not all that greatly reduced.  Watch for popbacks, and if you see the driftwood lupin in the 6 long, you are more than welcome to let me know!  :-)

Okay, that's it for tonight.  You all have a great Sunday evening/Monday morning!