Wednesday, October 9, 2013

OOTDs: Floral Skirts, Stripes, Sequins, and Some Lace.

Good Wednesday morning, all.  :-)

I am planning on getting a Boden Weekly Review Roundup done in the next few days (maybe even today if I am feeling especially energetic), but I wanted to let you all know that I have set up a page for Boden reviews that you all can leave comments at for reviews that you would like me to publish in the next roundup.  The page is located directly underneath the blog header...and since I finally figured out how to get disqus over there (which allows for hyperlinking to other sites), I can officially declare the page ready to go.

Now for some flowers, stripes, sequins, and lace.


Day: Saturday, September 28, 2013.

Where: Rex's Teeball game and Bethesda for some yummy Cajun food. 

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  I managed to keep the Alice Lace Top (review here) tucked in for most of the day, but it did come untucked from time to time.  That shouldn't bother me, but I get all persnickity about things like that. 

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Barring the Born sandals, this is a decent outfit.  A little different, but that unique sometimes makes for cooler looks.  I also let my hair do its crazy natural wavy thing, and it looked just mussed enough.

Anecdote from the Day:  I saw a woman that taught Rex a few years back and we got to talking about our various health scares over the years (hers--cancer; mine--Rex's birth and the PFO/mini strokes) and it was a really uplifting conversation.  I think I forget that when you come through something really and truly awful and make it to the other side that it can be really life affirming.  I get so caught up in the daily grind of cleaning, fussing, fixing, and transporting that I need the reminder that I have lived through issues that wouldn't have afforded me the chance to have the daily grind had things gone differently.  So after that talk with her, I thanked the Lord that I am still here doing the daily grind.  ;-)

Day: Saturday, August 10, 2013.

Where: Sewing Fashion Club at G Street Fabrics. 

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  Decently comfortable, although I found the skirt a bit short for sitting at the club for longer stretches since I don't like showing off my legs in chairs (I always think people are looking at my thighs and saying "ugh," yeah, I know it's not happening, but I am really insecure about my thighs).

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  It's hard to properly grade this one when the skirt is one I made, but I think the colors work nicely together and the bag gives the outfit a bit of a lift.

Anecdote from the Day:  The class is always so informative, I really appreciate the store offering the free lessons.  Armed with what I learned that day, I feel like maybe I can tackle a cute, lined, plaid wool skirt (this is the fabric I will use) for this fall.  (The topic of the day was wools/plaids.)


Day: Friday, August 23, 2013.

Where: National Gallery of Art and Pret a Manger with CW. 

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  Had I known it was going to rain, I would have probably brought an umbrella or a jacket.  CW was smart, and clearly knew what she was doing, when she chose to wear her Hello Kitty rainboots.

(I love my Seventies Wedges, but they probably weren't the best for tackling summer rain. BTW, I have worn these sandals way more than I expected to, definitely the MVP of my summer shoes!)

It started raining about an hour into the trip--this photo was taken at the beginning of the day. 

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Sequins are probably out, but I like them, and felt like this outfit was a good choice for going around town with CW.  Just the right amount of dressy casual for a day date with my favorite little girl.

Anecdote from the Day: CW will talk the ear off of anyone and everyone.  People always come up to her and ask her questions, probably expecting a "yes" or "no," since that is what little kids usually say to people that they have just met.  Not my little lady, who will wax poetic about whatever topic is in her head that day.  I believe the guard at the museum got to talk with her about her baby doll, and the guard at Zara got to talk with her about her rainboots.  Both of those conversations lasted for five minutes each.  The guards seemed nonplussed by it all.  :-)


Day: Sunday, September 22, 2013.

Where: Friends' birthday party. 

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  I love the design on the skirt, but I think it is just the wrong shape for me, so I bet this one will be in my next "let's sell all my skirts" party that I post.

Cool Factor: (2.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  I don't love this look.  I think the color in the top would have worked better with the skirt had the mint in the skirt been just a touch more prominent.  In real life the outfit looked less "in your face," but it's obviously hard to tell that from these photos.

Anecdote from the Day:  This family that we are friends with have two separate September birthdays, and usually the wife just celebrates the little girl's birthday (she turned 6 this year), but since her husband was turning 50, she threw him into the mix, too.  He is a really cool guy, so I bought his some "Handsome Devil" wine.  I have no clue if he drinks wine, but he can at least display the bottle.

Alrighty, that's it for now.  You all enjoy your day!

P.S. Boden finally updated their coupons in the affiliate program, so the sidebar now hosts a womenswear coupon.  Same discount, etc., but with a photo of a lady instead of kids and/or bunting.