Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Boden: Autumn/Fall 2014 Preview Picks (Knitwear, Shirts, and Tops).

UPDATE (July 21, 2014): Some of the fall 2014 items have rolled out, including many of the below.  I have received a coupon from the people at the affiliate program.  You can find it below this first paragraph or in the sidebar of the blog if you need a coupon.  I will eventually be updating this post with proper links to the items that are available, so you can easily find the items you love below on the regular site.  :-)

15% off with free shipping coupon that is valid once you spend $50 or more!

Hi!  Happy Tuesday, everyone.  Was meaning to get this post out last night, but time got away from me.  So I am going to dispense with the usual chit-chat and just move onto the picks already.

Today's picks focus on the knitwear, shirts, and tops from the Boden Autumn/Fall 2014 collection.  British readers, the links below say sweater, but that is pulled directly from the US preview site.  They are still called jumpers over at your preview site.  ;-)

As per usual, there is a code for 20% off with free ship and returns which will expire THIS Friday, May 23, 2014.  I will make sure to publish a post on that Friday to remind you all that the code is expiring so you don't forget.  The code is H6G9.  (That code is only for the United States, btw.)

 
Pattern Sweater. These two sweaters are on my radar because they are so cute with their ditsy birds and guards.  Adorable.  I have worn the Heritage hummingbird sweater from last year a lot (even dared to wear it with outfits I didn't photograph--gasp), so I know the style will work for me.  Only concern is that these will also be prone to pilling as the hummingbird sweater is...if so I will suck it up and continue my fabric shaving, but I really wish I didn't have to...

Spot Collar Sweater.  This sweater seems like it will be calling a few of you all by name.  It has a peter pan collar, darling dots everywhere, and is in a lovely shade of mid-pink and a dark pinky/plum.

Embellished Sweater.  This color for fall, yum!  And those beautifully placed jeweled dots!  This sweater is one of the handful of items that will not be debuting in late July.  The items that are rolling out with this sweater in late August all seem to be more formal or made for celebrations, so I gather rather than wait for the winter rollout to debut the festive wear, Boden plans on capitalizing on early birds by getting these out sooner than October this season.

This one seems to be a bit expensive for what it is.  The material composition is the same as the Pattern Sweater above (pill alert!), but those extra gems everywhere have given Boden and co. shiny dollar/pound signs in their eyes!
 
Grace Sweater.  Love this color.  Swoon!  Would have to wait for it on sale, but I do plan on waiting for it on sale since it is so pretty, and its shape is very ladylike.  It seems  to be the Sophia sweater (review here) made in a "solid," so if you have this spring's Sophia sweater and like it, you may want to consider this one.  Having said all this, the Sophia sweater sold out FAST, so I am not sure I will be able to get this once it rolls out, as it may not make it to a greater discount.  Sigh.

Hotchpotch Sweater.  Its a hotchpotch that isn't too crazy!  The other incarnations of this sweater are less tame, but I figured I would toe the proverbial line by showing you a hotchpotch item that likely will appeal to more individuals.  (Though if you are a fan of the crazy side of Boden, just go to the next item for your fix.)

Intarsia Plaid Sweater.  Ah, there it is, a bit of the crazy, wacky, fun side of Boden.  Look at that plaid--on the bias!  In bright colors!  Looking a bit 1970s!  :-)  Not sure what this will be--will it sell out because it is so unique and special or will it languish in the stocks waiting desperately for the right Boden customer to see its appeal and buy it?  Any thoughts?

Curzon Coatigan.  I initially wasn't going to include this in my picks, but its shape and color started to grow on me.  I also love how practical it is, especially if you live in a climate where winter may mean days where a true winter jacket is unnecessary most of the time.  Or for those of you in true winter climates, this topper would be great for indoor wear or for in the car whilst driving.  (I hate having a thick coat on when driving--what a pain!)

Charlotte Top. This top is very wacky, but it appeals to me.  I *think* I may be able to get this on sale later in the season, and I hope to.  I didn't even notice it until I saw the model wearing it (see the photo at the top of the post), but it looks really cute on her.  I love the plaid fabric with the darling eyelet.  I wonder if they took eyelet fabric and dyed it to have plaid or if they took plaid fabric and made the eyelets.  Any sewing fans have a clue on how this was done?

Chepstow Top.  In basket right now.  Will not let this one sell out like it did last year before I can get my hands on it.  I thought for sure this peasant style jersey top would be a dud last year and one month after it debuted I took a look at its item page only to be dismayed that almost all the colors and sizes were sold out.  Sad!  This year I plan on being a happy camper early on...of course knowing Boden, they overordered and I will see a TON of stock well into next winter's clearance time.  ;-)

Long Sleeve Breton. This top is always popular amongst Boden fans.  Heck, it's even popular amongst non-Boden people*.  I have a lot of Breton stripes in my closet (most supplied by J. Crew if I am being honest), but this color combo is really fresh and a bit different than what you usually see.  Even though I love it, not going to be buying it as, again, so many stripes already in my wardrobe.

*Why is it that when Boden was gifting all those items last year to all those "well-known" bloggers that they all chose the Breton top?  I started to roll my eyes every time I saw a blogger picking the Breton again and again and again.  If the c/o item was an actual "wow that's a Boden item," then I silently cheered them on for picking something that you can't find elsewhere (bonus points if it was an embroidered fun item).  The Breton people, btw, seem to have moved on from Boden since then.  Surprise!  ;-)  (But all of this can be discussed later, lol.)

Lottie Top.  I want to but this to wear to bed since it looks so comfy.  (Modal and Cottton jersey blend--YUM!)  But if it is going to be an item I wear as pajamas, I probably should wait for a really good discount.  I mean I guess I could wear it out in real life, but I really really really want it for loungewear!

Metallic Organza Top.  This is another top set to roll out in August.  I can tell you that from a sewing perspective, this top is not all that difficult to sew up, even with the underlayer, but that fabric is darn expensive, which explains the cost. (Say that with a discount this fabric is $10 a yard, which makes this top $15--1.5 yards estimated, but that $15 is before adding on the underlayer fabric, labor, marketing, etc.)  Even though it is all poly, all poly and organza does not mean bad quality.  Take a look at some of these poly organza items from B&J fabrics to see what I mean.  I purchased this spring's Embroidered Flower Top and will see how I like that one before I even consider this one, but I will say this one's beautiful floral embroidery is exceptionally lovely and would look amazing with a nice pair of slim black wool trousers and a pair of well-made ballet flats.


Paris Blouse.  I know last year's Paris Blouse had its fans, so I would be a bad Boden blogger if I didn't include this year's version, but I would have anyway since the fabric features little swans, all cuddled up, just so.  Because of the design, you would think it would read young, but from afar, you can barely tell what they are, and because of the wise color choices, all of the blouses are fine for someone older than ten to wear out and about.  The black and white version above is especially chic.

It features a relaxed fit, but is all viscose (woven--very shrinkable, be warned).  If you own this and have seen how much it shrinks and would like to chime in, please do!

The Shirt. Have to finish the picks with this button-up featuring British guards and the Union Jack.  Since I am getting the Pattern Sweater, I will not be buying this shirt, but if you are an Anglophile, you could always buy both and wear them together.  I would then live vicariously through you.  ;-)

Okay that's it for today.  I am saving the best of womenswear for last, tomorrow I will publish my picks on coats/jackets, shoes, and accessories.  This upcoming season features some amazing finds in all three categories.

If you would like to buy a popback from the diminishing discount, I provided a link below just in case you need it!