Friday, August 8, 2014

OOTDs: Great Summer Lengths.

Day: Tuesday, July 1, 2014.

Where: My Birthday!  So yeah, I was able to enjoy a small trip to the city (with my daughter and my BFF) and get to Barnes and Noble and Pret-a-Manger.  That night we all ate dinner at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant, Meaza.

Ease of Wear: (5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  I love this Garnet Hill dress so much.  It is hands down one of my easiest, breeziest dresses ever.  And if there is ever a day to feel good about oneself, the birthday is probably high on the list.  :-)  I bought this year's version (tiered maxi dress here--wait for that $58 to go down, it should) in a tropical floral for $21 (yay!), but it is about two inches shorter, so it doesn't have that full-on maxi feel, sadly.  It looks fine, but I would have preferred this length.

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.)  It's a very pretty summery look!

Anecdote from the Day:  Some years I go all out for my birthday, but I wasn't really feeling like being over-the-top this year, so I just chilled all day with my BFF, L., instead.  And because I was able to eat some of my most favorite food ever that day, I was good.  Next year I will likely celebrate a whole lot more.


Day: Sunday, June 29, 2014.

Where: Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Museum (aka Air & Space, Part Two) and Generous George's for pizza.

Ease of Wear: (4.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  Just like the Garnet Hill maxi, this Boden jersey maxi dress (this year's is here) is one of my most favorite dresses, but this one loses out because I felt like I had to wear a cami with the neckline in order to be a bit more modest.  It wasn't that I was busting all out, 'cause I can't do that at my bust size, but for me, it does feel very exposed. 

Cool Factor: (3.75 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) I like the look.  I definitely was the only one in the museum in a maxi dress, though.  I think I would have fit in better at the beach.

Anecdote from the Day:  The original Air and Space Museum is the classic museum experience in DC.  This Air and Space museum only recently opened (2003), and features FULL-sized airplanes and an actual space shuttle.  It is AWE-inspiring, and the only thing that you have to pay for is parking.  (But here's a secret...if you arrive after 4 pm, it's free!  We locals can visit the museum as much as possible during the year, obviously, so we can take in the museum in bits and pieces, making the two-hour window to visit the museum doable.)  Anyhow, it is worth the trek out to Chantilly (right next to Dulles airport).  My favorite airplane is the Concorde, because I always thought that maybe one day I would be one of those lucky individuals who could fly to Paris or London in three and half hours flat.  Sadly they shut the operation down in 2003, so my dream will never ever come true.

Day: Wednesday, August 6, 2014.

Where: Angus's ABC/123 class.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  The shirt kept wanting to come untucked, but other than that, again, super comfortable.  The rayon jersey in that skirt is SO soft, btw.

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) It's probably polarizing, you are either gonna love it or hate it, but I dig it.  My hubby asked why I wanted to be so covered up.

Anecdote from the Day:  I just love watching toddlers figure things out.  Angus is now at the point where he can match letters and pictures to its pair on a chart, which I think is pretty awesome.  I also love it when he sees a friend of his in the class trying to figure out which match to make, and he chimes in (while seated, like *that's* gonna help, lol), "dere it is!" 
 
Okay, technically this isn't a "great lengths" outfit, but the dress fell deep into my photos folder, and I figured if I didn't publish it now, it would never get published.
Day: Saturday, July 5, 2014.

Where: It was a Saturday...and the photo time stamp says 8:00 am, so somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember.  Hmm.

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  The dress is more form-fitting that I have been wearing this summer, so it took getting used to, but by the end of the day, the cotton had stretched a bit making it more comfortable.

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) Ikat seems to still be in style.  I really like ikat prints, and since I have started sewing my own items up, I have bought a few yards in different colors/styles to hopefully make my own dress/jumpsuit/tunic in one day.

Anecdote from the Day:  Since I can't remember, I got nothing.  ;-)

Boden fans, there is a sale coming up next week.  Can't give you more, but there will be something coming on Monday.

You all have a great Friday!